Make an Impact on EXSS and join the Student Advisory Council
The Department of Exercise and Sport Science is initiating a Student Advisory Council. We are now recruiting new members for the Council. We are seeking eight EXSS students members to join the Council from across each of our specialization areas (EXSS-General, EXSS-Athletic Training, EXSS-Fitness Professional and EXSS-Sport Administration).
If you are interested in serving as an EXSS Student Advisory Council member, contact Darin Padua (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5:00pm on Friday September 5.
Faculty representatives to the EXSS Student Advisory Council will consider all eligible nominees (see eligibility criteria below). We will notify those who were selected as EXSS Student Advisory Council members by Friday September 19.
The initial EXSS Student Advisory Council meeting will take place on Wednesday October 1 from 3:00-4:00pm.
A general overview of the EXSS Student Advisory Council is described below.
The EXSS Student Advisory Council informs the Department of Exercise and Sport Science and the university administrators of the needs of EXSS students, articulates problems and issues currently facing EXSS students, and advises the Department on areas of programming currently being offered. The EXSS Student Advisory Council will also provide an opportunity for collaboration between faculty and students and serve as a means to create a more unified department community.
Members of the EXSS Student Advisory Council
- Department Chair or Assistant Chair
- Director of Undergraduate Studies
- 4 EXSS-General majors
- 1 EXSS-AT major
- 1 EXSS-FP major
- 2 EXSS-SA majors
Eligibility criteria to serve as an EXSS Student Advisory Council member:
- Junior or Senior academic status
- Able to meet the first Wednesday of each month from 3:00-4:00pm
Expectations of EXSS Student Advisory Council:
- Advocate for the needs/concerns of EXSS students
- Identify ways to improve the EXSS student experience
- Actively promote EXSS activities and news with others
- Communicate information regarding student initiatives related to EXSS
- Report on relevant programs and events in order to raise EXSS awareness of these initiatives
- Relay non-confidential information discussed during Council meetings back to interested students on campus
- Provide feedback on EXSS programs, events, resources and services
- Attend all Council meetings (3-4 per semester) during the academic year
- Serve as a reviewer for EXSS teaching awards
- Advocate on the importance of completing teaching evaluations to EXSS students
- Complete an annual reflective evaluation regarding your experience as a Council member
Key guidelines for EXSS Student Advisory Council members:
- Maintain confidentiality, unless otherwise notified by the faculty representatives, of all conversations at council meetings
- Excessive (more than 2 absences) from regularly scheduled Council meetings are grounds for dismissal from the Council
- Council membership is effect for one academic year but is renewable provided that the Council member’s original term of service was deemed exemplary